Sunday, April 26, 2015

Trek Training and Challenges

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been particularly challenging as it was our first big meal for the first Trek Training of the season and I got Strep Throat...not a good combination of events. Monday started off great with work crew. Monday evening my throat was feeling scratchy and by Tuesday I was down for the count. Elder Lindsey did work crew and I slept the day away. Wednesday was our preparation day and we needed to get groceries for Fridays dinner but I was just getting sicker so first we stopped at President and Sister Bushman's and got the credit card for shopping then President and Elder Lindsey gave me a blessing. Next we headed for Casper and the Instacare.

By 10:00am I was on antibiotics and we headed out to do our shopping. After cleaning out Walmart we did a drive thru of McDonalds (a milkshake to soothe my throat) got gas and headed home. After stopping at the homestead and unloading the groceries in the barn it was home and back to bed for me.

Thursday the miracles started to happen. We had planned to spend the day doing the prep work for Fridays dinner but since I was still moving slow (not to mention I couldn't talk a side benefit for Elder Lindsey) other missionaries joined us and we were able to get everything we needed done well before noon then it was home and back to bed for me.

Friday I was feeling better but still not up to full speed but we had a great team of missionaries, some who had been assigned and others who pitched in when they had some free time and everything came off without a hitch.

Taking a lunch break with Elder and Sister Smith our assistants in the kitchen. We have a wonderful time working with them.

We were eating lunch when we looked over at the roll dough and discovered it raising right over the bowl. Elder Lindsey did a little art work and we had our very own ghost! Not sure what happened but the rolls were very light and fluffy!



Our menu for dinner was sirloin tips over rice, corn, salad, rolls and for dessert we served cherry crisp with ice cream. We served 224 people and everything turned out wonderful. We got great reviews for our sirloin tips. We had so much help, everyone was willing to step in and do anything that was needed. Elder Lindsey and I and Elder and Sister Smith work so well together and have a great time doing it.

Saturday morning we left Missionary Village with Elder and Sister Smith and Elder and Sister Layton at 6;00am to head to Sixth Crossing to participate in day two of Trek Training. Elder Lindsey helped serve breakfast and I did the readers theatre. After we finished at Sixth Crossing the six of us went into Lander had lunch and did a quick stop at Safeway. We got back home about 4:00pm and I went to bed and except for waking up a couple of times to change where I slept I didn't get up until 8:00 am on Sunday.

Sunday Elder Lindsey went to church and I stayed home and rested. I've learned some important lessons this week. First Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. Each day I had the strength to do the things I needed to do and people who stepped up to help with the things I didn't need to do. When I was worried about the recipe I was using for the sirloin tips and prayed about it I would get a feeling of peace that all would be well...and it was.

There is a quote from President Eyring we have framed here in our FM office that says "Never underestimate the spiritual power of temporal work." Those words came to my mind several times this week. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us, he loves us and he will help us no matter what our task all we need to do is ask.

We have another busy week ahead and I look forward to facing it with better health.
Our love and prayers to each of you,
Elder and Sister Lindsey




No comments:

Post a Comment