Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ready to Roll

June 1, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

Everything changed around Martin's Cove last Friday with the beginning of Memorial Day weekend. The weather changed to mostly warm and sunny (a bit windy at times but hey it's Wyoming) and with the holiday weekend the visitors arrived. We went from having maybe 20 people a day visit to 200 people a day and this is just the beginning.

On Monday Elder Lindsey and I were assigned to Handcart Parking. Handcart Parking is where the handcarts stay while the people who pulled them go up into Martin's Cove. We had a great time visiting with the families who pulled handcarts from the Visitors Center. When they reach us they have walked 1.2 miles and the walk into Martin's Cove and back to us is 2.4 miles. We try to make sure everyone is prepared for the walk with plenty of water and sunscreen.


This picture is looking toward the little cabin that we use to keep supplies in and get out of the weather if need be at Handcart Parking. We park the handcarts on the grassy area. Can you imagine just how wonderful it is to spend your day surrounded by this beautiful scenery. On a busy trekking day we could have more than 100 handcarts parked here.

I saw my first rattlesnake on Monday. I was driving Elder Lindsey slowly across the footbridge when I spied him slithering along the side of the bridge. I stopped the rover and let out a squeal but by the time I told Elder Lindsey why I was squealing the snake was gone and Elder Lindsey was not happy to have missed the opportunity for a picture. Tuesday the first people over the footbridge saw two more snakes and on Thursday Elder Lindsey found two large bull snakes on the bridge and they refused to move so he could drive the rover across. Elder Cherry saved the day with a snake catcher which he used to separate them and toss them into the river. Here at Martin's Cove we send rattlesnakes to another realm and bull snakes to another location.

Tuesday was a day of trek training. The treks start next week and Elder Bushman wants to be sure we are ready. After going over the various responsibilities in the morning we went over to Fort Seminoe to hear a couple stories and have lunch.


I decided the surry (which I helped put the top on last week) was a great place to listen to the stories and eat my lunch. Lucky for me the "do not climb on" sign wasn't yet in place.

After lunch we headed out on the trail. The highlight for me was that several of us decided to do the river crossing. The water was waist deep and cool but the day was so hot that it felt really good.


Those are my shoes around my neck. The river bottom was sandy and mushy but it was a great experience and I'm glad I did it because as the season progresses the water will be very shallow. I was totally dry before we got back to the Homestead about two hours later. I also got my first tick on Tuesday but lucky for me I felt him crawling on the back of my neck before he took a bite! Hopefully that will also be my last tick!


This sunset over Split Rock was our view out our window tonight...this is one of the reasons we love Wyoming.

Thursday was a fantastic day. It was a Sisters shopping day in Casper. We carpooled and shopped at various spots all over town then met for lunch at Olive Garden. I really scored at two great second hand stores where I got western jackets and vests, just the type of things I need for trail dress. My favorite item was a pair of red cowboy boots that I got for $10. I had to come home and rearrange our closet to fit my new clothes. Yes, I left Elder Lindsey some space and if he tells you differently don't believe him! 
No need to feel sorry for the Elders. While we shopped they had steaks and baked potatoes for lunch and their work day ended after lunch. Plus they had very happy wives and we all know "happy wife, happy life!"

Friday we had a practice session on arriving treks then Elder Lindsey and I and two other couples went out to Cherry Creek campground and finished up some painting. After Lunch we came home and cleaned the car (it's already dirty again) and organized the storage trailer.

For our "P" day  after doing some housekeeping in the morning we went to Independence Rock with another couple.  Elder Lindsey and Elder Rollins climbed to the top of Independence Rock and they saw many pioneer names carve into the rock. Sister Rollins and I walked around the base. The climb up didn't look too bad but the climb down looked terrifying! A thunder storm passed through in the afternoon and it became the perfect time for a nap! It was movie night so we got together in the pavillion and watched "Lake House" , a strange but sweet love story. Elder Lindsey is campaigning for an action movie next time.

Sunday was again wonderful. The testimonies born were heartfelt and the spirit was strong. Our classes are well taught and we come away from our meetings spiritually fed and prepared for the week ahead. Since it's Fast Sunday we have break the fast pot luck at 5:00pm. Breakfast is the theme and tonight I'm doing waffles.

A side note for those of you with trailers. You can now get full hook ups (electric, water and sewer) at Missionary Village for $20 per night with a three night maximum stay. It's always good to call for a reservation. Camping is still $10 per night with pit toilets available. Very clean pit toilets, I might add!

We want you all to know you are in our prayers.
Love,
Elder and Sister Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment