Sunday, February 1, 2015

Blankets and Birthdays

Dear Family and Friends,

Another busy week has flown by with lots of fun things happening. On Monday Sister Busche came over in the afternoon and she and I worked on getting things set up for our Relief Society activity on Tuesday. Since Elder Lindsey was still sick she brought over some chicken noodle soup for his dinner and a skillet dinner that she and I fixed and ate in the church. We just love Sister Busche. She is always thinking of others and reaching out and sharing. She is a true example of someone who gives Christ like service.

Our friend Jan Harris had received a donation of flannel material  and she in turn donated it to us here in Rosebud. Our Relief Society activity Tuesday evening was to make baby blankets and quilts to donate to the hospital here in Rosebud. The activity was a great success. We had a large group of ladies who came, brought their sewing machines and shared their talents. We also had several young women and a sweet primary girl who tried their hand at sewing for the first time and did a wonderful job. Pictures really tell the story though...so here they are.

Jennifer Gilson laying out her blanket.


Asia, Angel and Laura hard at work.

Our youngest seamstress being taught by Wanda (head ER nurse from the hospital and a master seamstress.)

We had sisters working in every corner of the cultural hall!

Just a few of the blankets we sent to the hospital. 

As a complete surprise to me the Sisters had also planned an early birthday party. Since my birthday is on February 1st and that's Fast Sunday they thought they would completely surprise me at Relief Society...and they did!

Sister Busche made me this delicious spice cake with cream cheese frosting. 

Ryan Barker (Laura's husband) made me this wonderful brownie cheesecake. It was better than Cheesecake factory!

There were other treats and some lovely gifts and I felt very loved. These Sisters are in my heart forever. I felt like I've known them for a lifetime and I know the friendships Elder Lindsey and I have made here will last through eternity.

Wednesday after our ARP class and lunch we headed over to Barker's to show the movie "Joseph Smith Prophet of the Restoration" to several of our investigators. Everyone enjoyed the movie and we shared our testimony of the Prophet and of the restoration which we love to do. 

Thursday we headed to Valentine so Elder Lindsey could see the doctor. After blood work and a chest X-ray we found he had bronchitis. After leaving the clinic we headed to Shopko to pick up four prescriptions. We will go back on Monday for a recheck. Friday we took the doctors advice and Elder Lindsey rested. 

Saturday morning Elder Lindsey made two pies for my birthday dinner at the Barker's on Sunday.

Elder Lindsey is becoming a master baker!

Saturday afternoon we went to the Founders Day Powwow at the college in Mission. Pictures tell the story much better than words ever could so here they are.

The costumes are beautiful and varied but these were three of my favorites.

This is Asia, Annettes niece. She has won many awards at the Powwows. 

This is another of Annette's nieces, Dara. Even the littles ones dance.

This dance was part of the Grand Entry.

Grand Entry

I picked up this hand painted jacket at the Powwow, actually the sisters at church today said I stole it since I paid so little. I had the artist sign it for me. Happy birthday to me. It goes great with my new purse that Jim got me!

The Powwows are fascinating and we love seeing the Native Culture come alive in everyone. The dancing to the beat of the drums is beautiful and everyone from the very young to the very elderly participate. One of our favorites is the honoring of the Veterans. After they talk about their service the Vets dance around a large circle and people come out of the audience to shake their hands and then get in line behind them. It is a wonderful show of respect and gratitude.

Winter returned Saturday afternoon and we woke today to cold...really cold temperatures and several inches of snow. Church was great with strong testimonies born and lots of love shared. In the evening we went to dinner at the Barker's along with the young Elders. Sister Barker was very sweet to fix a nice Sunday dinner for my birthday. We sure love our Branch here in Rosebud. In a short time they have become like family to us.

It was wonderful to hear from kids and many grandkids for my birthday. We even got to Facetime with Hannah and Nathan who shared the exciting news that they are going to be Ordinance Workers in the Washington DC Temple. 

We love you all and you are in our prayers,
Elder and Sister Lindsey









No comments:

Post a Comment